Last night I hit the wall.  Ran out of steam.  Burned out.  I’ve been trying so hard to keep up with this unrealistic idealistic standard of scratch cooking, bread baking, cleaning, laundry and all the other chores of living that I just cracked last night.  And I’m fairly convinced that the copious amounts of Dr. Pepper that I’ve been consuming regularly along with the junk food I’ve been eating all week hasn’t been helping my ability to keep my cool.

So when I went into the laundry room last night to run the next wash cycle on the diapers (thinking I was all ahead of the game by starting them before leaving for work) only to discover they were all layed out and dried by my helpful mother-in-law/nanny.  And I kinda lost it.  But why??  That should be a good thing, right?  Well, they weren’t washed.  Just rinsed.  So, back in the washer they went.  Now I know that this isn’t a big deal.  I didn’t waste any effort.  But for some reason, it just threw my OCD into crazy mode.

I didn’t take any pictures of my tortillas,
however they did look a little like this.

And the multi-stage dinner prep?  Yeah, that was destined for failure before I even began.  Beef enchiladas made with homemade tortillas.  Because I know that Matt doesn’t like the whole wheat ones we had on hand and I was putting forth my best effort to stay out of the grocery store.

Let me interrupt to say that if you aren’t Mexican or know anyone that is Mexican, it is near impossible to make tortillas.  I had absolutely no idea what I was doing and I’m pretty sure that I ended up cooking plain flour discs.  Sounds yummy, eh?  I stopped once I realized that they wouldn’t roll, therefore making enchilada assembly IMPOSSIBLE.  I cooked four and threw out the rest of the dough.

The moral of the story?  Sometimes good enough is good enough.

Sure, it’s nice to have freshly baked bread in the house.  And I enjoy eating making it.  But to set the standard of only eating homemade bread?  That’s asking for failure.  And that’s the kind of pressure I’ve been putting on myself lately.  (Ironically while eating Nachos Bell Grande for lunch.)

And that’s what I need to work on.  Simplifying.  And accepting my limitations.  Because the reality is that I’m not a stay at home mom.  And my desire to be is going to push me over the edge if I don’t give in a little.

11 Responses to I am obviously not Mexican although I do love Nachos Bell Grande- even if it isn’t real meat.

1. Shirley says:

Hahaha….I didn't realize us Mexican people were born with an innate tortilla making ability. But seriously they can be hard to make until you have tried it a hundred times. Maybe just try small batches when you aren't planning on using them for dinner.

2. Erin says:

Oh bless your heart and your brain too. Just like you have to pick the battles with your little one, your going to have to pick your battles with all the choices to eat healthy. Just an idea,, next time you go to the store, not right now if you don't need to LOL,,, pick up either one more portion or fruit or vegtables than you might otherwise do and say, "I'm such a good Mom and wife feeding my family more fruits and vegtalbes!"

3. Jennifer says:

Even stay-at-home moms don't make a heck of a whole lot of homemade bread! I make homemade bread maybe once a year… plus homemade rolls and biscuits and such when I feel like it.

Don't put such high expectations on yourself. Just roll with it. One month my budget is entirely under control. The next month we're eating amazing meals, but they're not necessarily the healthiest and of course with great food the budget goes out the window. The next month we're eating healthy, I'm doing well with the budget, and then all of a sudden I've got 2 kids down with strep throat and all I can manage is to throw some Totino's pizzas in the oven.

You're completely normal. And you're doing a great job.

4. Michelle says:

I've tried homemade tortillas before too. I don't remember them turning out very well. Or I'd probably still be making them. I tried in the first place b/c I wanted "rice tortillas" b/c of a special diet. You know what? It's fun to try to make the stuff every now and then. Don't beat yourself up for not doing it all the time. Maybe try once every two weeks or something. At some point, something is gonna have to give. Followed you over from the Having Fun hop!
    Michelle

5. Jessie Szmanda says:

LOVING your blog! Thank you so much for stopping by!

6. Praises from a Wife and Mommy! says:

Sounds tough! New follower through Thursday blog hop… hop on by and say hi! :)

7. Kristy says:

Yep, you can cut yourself some slack because you're doing a great job! :) True I don't work outside the home, but I'm FAR from having it all together either

8. momondealz says:

Never tried homemade tortillas, but luckily my hubby loves whole wheat store bought ones. :) Following back from Momondealz,thanks for the follow!

9. Not a Perfect Mom says:

wow…homemade tortillas…and the bread…
    um…I peeled oranges for my kids lunches…that's just like homemade stuff, right?

10. Johnnie says:

Hi! I am a new follower from Friday's hops. Great site. I am looking forward to reading more of your blog. Blessings…
    Saved By Love Creations

11. All looks yummy!
    Do hope you link up to Time Travel Tuesday next week too!
    and there is a weekend blog hop for Facebook – all kinds of fun :)