Book It! The Happiness Project

I may have mentioned a time or two that I haven’t been a big reader in, well, years really.  But I’m making an effort to change that…  So, I’ve jumped on board with Life as Mom and her Booking It project.  I figured if someone told me what to read, that would eliminate some of my excuses for avoiding the library.

I was actually excited to read The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin.  I enjoy non-fiction and self-improvement books.  I know, I’m a dork.  However, I was actually a little disappointed by the writing itself.  Overly wordy and stuffed an overabundance of research, I found a little difficult to remain engaged.  Which is unfortunate because I love the premise of the book and find her outline for increasing happiness to be fairly profound.  She manages to articulate the elements of happiness very precisely and while you find yourself thinking that’s common sense, the way that she frames each idea really adds a new light to an old concept.

Strangely, one of my biggest take-aways was probably one of the more minor ideas.  It was the case study of someone preparing a meal for a large dinner party.  When asked if he was happy doing all of the preparation, the host remarked on how he would be happy when it was over.  And that really struck a cord with me.  How many times do I obligate myself to something that is stressful and taxing only to keep doing it over and over?  But what resonated with me was the idea that while the process itself may not make me happy in the moment, the memory is something that will provide happiness for a long time to come.

Despite my critizisms of the authors writing style, I would definitely recommend this book to anyone.  I think if nothing else, it inspires you to think about your own happiness and how you can improve the quality of your life.  Something we could all use a little more of, I’m sure.

7 Responses to Book It! The Happiness Project

1. An Irish Italian Blessing says:

New stalker from Thursdays blog hop : )

Hope you will visit and follow me back!

2. Teresa Choplin @ tchoplin2009(at)gmail(dot)com says:

Following you from the blog hop!
    Love the information, you have here!
    Please come check my blog out at http://www.nontypicalmom.com/

Tchoplin2009@gmail.com
    Have a great day!

3. Samantha says:

I enjoyed the book as well although I did really like all of the research she included. I guess I'm a bigger dork than you! Really, I imagine I'm a bigger dork than most! The part you mentioned resonated with me as well – I do think sometimes we enjoy the memories more than the event itself – I know my wedding was like that for me.

Samantha

4. The Naked Mother says:

Thanks for the review!

I love these types of books and I ordered one on that sounds like it might be similar called Authentic Happiness.

Cute blog! I totally identify with the title!

5. Peter Reilly says:

Sorry to be off topic, but I want to say hello. Wherever my technorati rating goes I can always count on being tied with a Mom blog. Happens I have a Mom topic today.

6. sim only says:

7. Debra Ann Elliott says:

Now a follower from Say Hi Sunday. Love the blog by the way.
    Blessings,