A New Normal

Five days before my daughter’s first birthday I woke up to a strange feeling.  Pins and needles.  My feet had fallen asleep.  Or so I thought.

I shook them around a little but I didn’t get that feeling of blood rushing back into my extremities.  I didn’t feel anything.  And then I knew.

I stood up and the ground felt strange beneath my feet.  Like there were 20 layers of fabric between my body and the floor.

I thought I could walk it off.  Put a little Windex on it.  And it would be fine.

But it didn’t go away as I paced around the house.  And upon further investigation, it wasn’t just my feet.  My entire lower body was numb.

Those first couple weeks I stumbled around the house, afraid to do anything that could possibly make it worse.

I called my doctor and heard what I expected.  “It will just have to run its course.”  Six weeks and I’d be back to normal.

But six weeks turned into six months.  Then six months turned into a year.  And now 15 months later, I have a new normal.

I’ve learned to adapt to my disease and have vowed to not let it control me.  To not let it define me.  Because I am more than a symptom.  More than a just person living with MS.

16 Responses to A New Normal

1. What a great outlook on all of this. Thank you for sharing your story!

2. What a scary feeling! You are handling this so well!

I’m sorry I didn’t acknowledge your comment! Somehow it got stuck in my spam filter. Thank you for the kind words.

3. Kristy says:

Scary! I don’t think I knew this. AI x 2, huh? I agree, you do have a good outlook. And you keep a sense of humor :)

Yeah, I don’t really talk about the MS often. It’s always been by far the less annoying disease. I think you have to laugh about the serious stuff, otherwise you’ll go crazy. Thanks for the support.

4. Yes, you are more than a symptom or a person living with MS. I hope you are doing well with it. Thank you for sharing.

5. annabelle says:

Too many thoughts…can’t articulate…aghhh….

1. KLZ sent me. She was right about you. I like it here.

2. Also having to take on car payments since my fully paid for vehicle was decalred total loss. So. Not. Cool.

3. I like it here. Did I mention that?

4. Just so happens my post today is all about finding new bloggers and saying hello to them. Guess it’s on the brain. Hope you come by and leave your suggestions.

5. Following you now. Looking forward to “getting to know you”

We could totally be brain twins! Is “brain twins” a thing? I guess it is now. You rock. Thanks for the lovely comment. It has made my day!

6. Jessica says:

Sometimes doctors are so frustrating when they give you the answer that it just needs to run it’s course without ever seeing you in person.

7. Sara says:

My mom has MS and as a family we’ve grown up with it. Your outlook seems the best. And I agree, do not let it define you.

8. What a completely bizarre and scary sensation. Your positive outlook is really refreshing, and I honestly believe it helps to control the pain of many of your symptoms. I only know two people in my (real) life with MS and I know it can be so paralyzing for them. I wish you the very best!

9. Shell says:

How frustrating that must have been to wait that out.

yes, you are more than just that!

10. Lovely Light says:

Hi there- found you through the Follow me, Chickadee hop and am a new follower. Thank you for teaching me about the person side of MS. I can’t even imagine how tough it is. Best wishes on your progress. I hope you have time to follow my life in South Africa by http://withoutcomplexities.blogspot.com

Have a great week!

Thank you. It’s funny to me how much of a response this post has gotten. I guess I just don’t give it much thought usually. But everyone’s kind words have meant a lot.

11. […] C25k  I did week 1 day 1 (again) yesterday on my lunch break.  The hardest part is convincing myself it’s not a total pain to put on my running clothes.  But once I’m on the treadmill, it’s not bad.  (Except for the constant feeling that my sock is falling into my shoe because of the neuropathy I have in my legs.) […]